Meeting Minutes 6/16/14
Members present: S. Mills Bacha, B. Gianforcaro, J. Hohbach, K. Kasler, B. Cadwallader, J. Meyer, D. Caternicchia (no quorum)
Meeting start time: noon
Meeting end time: 1 p.m.
- Our next meeting is noon, Monday, Aug. 18, Buckeye Hall of Fame Café, Grandview Yard. We’re going to try a new venue and time by switching to the third Mondays of each month vs. first. So far everyone is on board with these changes. Hopefully the new venue will be more convenient for our board members on campus and coming from the north.
- The first program of the year will be at The Main Street Free Press Museum Sept. 4 John Long said Thursday, Sept. 4, at 7:15 p.m. is the night for his annual program at the Main Street Free Press Museum. Program and speakers still to come. Our chapter will co-sponsor this event as we have in the past. The museum was established in 2000 by Rarick W. Long, a member of our chapter for 48 years, and his family. The museum formerly housed the Knox County Citizen, which Rarick, John’s father, published for 35 years.
- The SPJ National Convention will take place in Nashville Sept. 4-6. To take advantage of early-bird registration and room discounts, the board asked Sarah to put together an estimate of costs for the national convention and we will take an online vote. Preliminary costs below.
Early-bird registration (ends July 23) – $220
Flight – $200
Hotel (three nights, Thursday, Fri and Sat) – $447 (excluding tax) (early reservation rate of $149)
Transportation to and from airport – $50 ($25 each way)
- At our June meeting, the board discussed the creation (maybe recreation for one of them) of two committees, one focused on the Ohio SPJ Contest and reciprocal judging and the other committee to update our chapter bylaws, which are woefully antiquated and out of touch with the way we need to do business in 2014 and the future. Beth, Karen and Joe have offered to form the Ohio SPJ Contest advisory committee. Mike Lorz, coordinator of the annual contest, asked for a list of requirements for chapter judging next year. There also was discussion that this committee be split into two, one for the contest and one for judging.
Julanne and Sarah will work on the bylaws effort and ask Kevin to join us. We started this initiative in 2011 and a priority for this year is to have an updated set of bylaws this year. Sarah will solicit additional board members to join these two committees. A contest judging coordinator is still needed, as is someone to chair Founders’ Day.
- Broadway in Columbus is presenting Newsies 13-18. If we can get at least 10 people to attend the Tuesday (1/13), Wednesday (1/14) or Thursday 1/15) performance, we can get a group rate of $44 for middle-tier seating. We discussed doing a happy hour before. Sarah will consult board members and see what date works best, then we’ll get info out to our membership. At the May meeting, there was considerable interest.