Meeting Minutes 8/18/14
Members present: S. Mills Bacha, D. Buchanan, D.Caterinicchia, K. Kasler, J. Meyer, M.Edwards, N. Craft., K. Smith, B. Cadwallader (a quorum existed)
Absent: C. Castle, B. Gianforcaro, J. Hohbach, J. Peters, J. Monnin
Meeting Start time: 12:07 (Buckeye Hall of Fame Café) Meeting End Time: 1:08
- Minutes. N/A since they were not presented. Still seeking prior minutes from 2010 and 2011.
- Treasurer’s Report: $5,271 in the checking; appr. $35,662 in Vanguard.
- Membership: The committee chair (Bruce) will reach out to National SPJ for updated records. He has suggested at least one programming event be geared at membership recruitment.
- It was determined the first program on Jan. 15 should be tickets to a Broadway Series viewing of “Newsies,” at the Ohio Theater with preferred group seating.
- Main Street Free Press Museum tour is Sept. 4 at 7:15 p.m. with John Long for those who can attend and enjoy a street festival.
- We have been asked to sponsor the Ohio Bar Association Media/Law Conference Oct. 10. MOTION #1 BY Craft/seconded by K. Smith to spend $500 to send 10 students to the program at $15 each and sponsor a continental breakfast up to $350. UNANIMOUS VOTE FOR APPROVAL.
- Chapter Judging: A coordinator other than B. Gianforcaro and the President is needed for next year’s round of press judging and a committee will meet with Ohio SPJ Awards coordinators to go over our more limited role and expectations. President Bacha has outlined 2015 Judging Requirements in a separate memo (i.e. limits the number of entries we will judge and takes Central Ohio SPJ out of the national judging pool).
- Bylaws committee: Cadwallader, Craft, Smith, Bacha and Hohbach will attempt a review of the bylaws.
- Juding committee: (see prior entry)
- National Convention in Nashville, Sept.4-6. President Bacha will represent the chapter. The chapter has two (2) votes in the Business Session because of 89 active members. D. Cat and K. Smith are also attending. MOTION #2 by Cadwallader/seconded by D. Cat: To authorize and reimburse Bacha up to $1,300 for travel and expenses related to the convention as our official delegate. APPROVED.
- Annual Reports are due by May of each year and include an audit.
- The board is considering the use of an outsourcing agent or volunteer to maintain the Website.
- A new National Ethics Code will be discussed at National SPJ Convention by K. Smith and others. He expects a floor fight since the document has not been revised since 1996 despite the efforts of a national committee who met in Columbus in July.
- The board will accept participation in an Ohio University data-mining study at the E. W. Scripps School of Journalism. Members to be contacted individually.
- Next board meeting: 15 at the Buckeye Hall of Fame Care, Grandview Yard @ Noon.
Minutes recorded by B. Cadwallader